The Running Man

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Force v Warratahs

Last Fri, I took both my roommates (Ant and JB) to a Rugby Union Super 14 match. It was the Western Force (my home state team) vs NSW Warratahs. Being NSW, it was a predominantly a rugby union state so since I was living there I thought I should go and watch a live rugby game for the atmosphere, sports, etc. I also put a small bet on the game to make it even more passionate :P haha... There was the customary warm-ups by the teams, entertainment (there was a singer in the middle of the pitch, but where we were sitting, there was a busker too...pretty good singing and playing his guitar)...of course there was lots of alcohol (ie. beer) flowing around :) its part of the Aussie culture! to have a beer at the game... The game started off pretty slowly with both sides trying to 'feel' each other out and check on their defenses. The first try and conversion when to the Warratahs ("Tahs" as they are nicknamed amonst the locals) and the Force looked slow and lethargic, with plenty of errors on either end. At this point I was thinking that I had lost my lunch money :( To the Force's credit they did come back and scored two more tries and a couple of conversions. Finally in the last 5mins of the game, the Tahs scored a penalty goal and the scores were tied 16-16...it was such an exciting 5mins with both teams striving to score any point that will surely secure the win for them :P with both teams not successful :P With 30 secs remaining the Tahs got a penalty about 40m from the Force try line...thinking that they were going to take that penalty...and probably convert too..I not only would have lost my money but also my home team (the one that I came to support) was also going to go back to Perth with a loss :( However, shockingly the Tahs player decided to take a quick tap (instead of going for the penalty goal) and tried to run the 40 m along the side line for a 'sneaky' try (I say this because I think most 99% of the fans and players were thinking that they were going for a penalty...luckily the 1% was still alert and manage to tackle the player after about 10m, thus resulting in a DRAW 16-16...in the end no one was happy (because no one won) and I lost my money..oh well was there for the atmosphere and the experience anyway. Good fun and looking forward to my next rugby union match..

The photo of the match...all the line-outs! Force are in dark blue whilst the Tahs are in light blue

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home