The Running Man

Monday, April 30, 2007

Oh so hard...

I find myself in a very strange position, it is now the time for law graduate recruitment in Sydney...and as expected there has been a flood of applications to my firm, all budding wide-eyed potential lawyers and law grads all competiting with each other in a "dog eat dog" business of getting offers from the firms (I too was like that so I should know the pressures, frustration, and fears :P...believe me, it is scary). Anyway to help out I have been allocated some CVs and covering letters to look through and its kinda weird having read thru (some of them) after having written so many yourself and pretty much picking up on things (got to be ruthless due to the high number of applicants and limited positions available) that other people have written and think to yourself in a *sceptical* mind about their intentions, how much research about the firm did they actually do, how does one applicant's results compare to another's or their CCA, etc. I am taking it seriously as I know these potential lawyers to be futures are in my hands so to speak (of course they may get offers from other firms), and spaces are so limited in the law field in Sydney that really hmmm....well it just feels weird that you could be thinking to yourself: is this what my assessor at firm XXX thought of my covering letter, results, CV, etc before rejecting my application? so weird...
For example, one of the applicants applied to the wrong firm! thats so obvious a mistake and a clear sign of a covering letter template (not a good start :P), but who hasn't done such a thing before...I mean its easier said than done, but all law firms always seem the same and are interested in the same things/characteristics, so its hard to 'customise' much or distinguish your covering letter from others :P oooh...so hard!
So wish me luck my readers, and hopefully I would select the good ones and not break too many hearts :P (as mine was when I receive those 'letters' in the mail :P) sigh...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home